ARTBOOK/ curated by Wes Del Val
For Design Miami/ 2014, ARTBOOK collaborated with bibliophile Wes Del Val on a curated selection of new, recent and vintage books that represent the very best of contemporary design, art and culture publishing. The selection includes important exhibition catalogs from museums like Vitra, MoMA and Cooper-Hewitt alongside new and hard-to-find monographs from international publishers such as Walther König, Steidl, Phaidon, Metropolis, Lars Müller, Hatje Cantz and JRP|Ringier,as well as many beautifully produced volumes from galleries like Gagosian, Karma, Patrick Seguin, R & Company and David Zwirner. In addition, the bookstore features an expanded selection of magazines and periodicals from the inventory of the acclaimed ARTBOOK @ MoMA PS1 Magazine Store.
“It’s become commonplace to both complain about the myriad distractions to our modern attention spans and bemoan the lack of time we have for all the (seemingly) interesting new modes of enjoyment. The diversity of the digital buffet, most of it free or nearly so, on our ubiquitous screens provides levels of instant gratification never before experienced. Yet the printed book (essentially unchanged for centuries) remains, and is, in fact, being produced in greater numbers than ever before. With all these choices before us, the role of selector—someone to separate and present the 20% of highest quality from the remaining 80%—has never been more necessary. I’ve always gravitated towards knowledgeable, discerning people to help guide me, and having spent the last decade both publishing art and photography books and obsessively perusing bookstores, magazines and culture blogs, I hope you’ll find my choices helpful as well. Opening a book that is beautifully produced, with well-edited content between its two covers, is still a singular experience. I’m very optimistic you’ll find this selection of titles to be filled with many that are new to youand worth collecting.” – Wes Del Val.
Wes Del Val is Associate Publisher at powerHouse Books and lives in New York. He thinks there has never been a more exciting time to be making books.
New York- and Los Angeles-based ARTBOOK runs world renowned museum bookstores at MoMA PS1 and the Walker Art Center, a long-term serial pop-up at Swiss Institute (SI) in New York, and curated temporary stores at Design Miami, Art Basel Miami Beach, Paris Photo Los Angeles, Frieze New York and the NY and LA Art Book Fairs, among many other fairs and conferences. In addition ARTBOOK produces vibrant book events with artists, authors and publishers at these and other venues. Visit them at www.artbook.com.
ARTBOOK | D.A.P.
Alexander Galan, Ranya Asmar
Address/ 155 6th Avenue, 2nd floor, New York 10013, USA